HISTORY OF NORTHVILLE ESTATES
Novi & Northville
When originally developed in 1956, Northville Estates was part of Novi Township. It was the desire of the majority of Northville Estates residents to be associated with the City of Northville rather than with Novi.
A petition to incorporate Novi as a Village was filed in 1957. Early petitions included Northville Estates in the description or property for the new village, against the desires of the residents. NECA hired an attorney, Philip Ogilvie, to protect the interests of the subdivision and to interpret legal aspects of the Novi Village Incorporation. Finally, on December 6, 1957, a new petition was filed with a property description which did not include Northville Estates, along with 60 pages of signatures which were gathered in September and October of that year.
By 1959, the Village of Novi was making efforts to become a City. Subdivision residents felt it was time to determine the future of Northville Estates. Several alternatives were being explored, including: 1) taking action to become part of the City of Northville, 2) become part of the Village of Novi, 3) become part of the new City of Novi, should that happen, or 4) remain independent until the population was large enough to become the Village of Northville Estates.
At the NECA Annual Meeting on April 24, 1959, subdivision residents authorized the Petition for Annexation to the City of Northville.
The proposal for annexation was placed on the ballot for a public vote on March 28, 1960. Included with Northville Estates was a parcel of land directly east, where Abbey Knoll, Pheasant Hills, and Lexington Commons are now located. The annexation was approved by a vote of 352 to 153. The Village of Novi vowed to fight the action “all the way to the Supreme Court”. The Village brought suit against the Secretary of State and the City of Northville. It took a year to decide, but the State Supreme Court ruled the annexation was valid and proper.